FAQ: WCC Edition

Photo by Andrew Edwards
Photo by Andrew Edwards

Where do I find information on registration, advising and financial aid?
The Laidlaw building is the center of information for Whatcom students. The offices for entry and advising, counseling, financial aid, registration and the cashier are all located along the main hall on the first floor. An information desk is located across from the registration window.

Where is the library and what can I find there?
The Whatcom library is located in Heiner Hall on the main floor and it houses a variety of books, magazines and videos available for research or personal enjoyment. There are also reserves of course textbooks which can be checked out for two hours at a time as long as they remain in the library. Students can also check out equipment such as graphing calculators and cameras.

The library also has a number of computers for student use as well as printers and copiers. There are many tables on both the first and second floors for students to quietly study, as well as a quiet room on the second floor. For students who wish to work in a group, there is a group study room on the second floor with whiteboards, easels and a monitor where students can plug in their laptops or devices for presentations. There is a help desk located next to the stairs on the first floor where students can ask a librarian for assistance.

Where can I find help for writing and math?
Whatcom has both a Writing and Math Center located in Cascade Hall. The centers are staffed by knowledgable tutors who work one-on-one with those who need help and answer questions. Sessions tend to last about 30 minutes, but there may be a wait list around midterms or finals.

Where is the student computer lab located?
The computer lab in rooms 104 and 105 is located on the bottom floor of Heiner Hall and there are several computers located in the hallway as well. Inside the computer lab is a help desk where students can learn how to set up their login for computers on campus as well as ask any other computer-related questions.

Where can I go to study?
There are tables and chairs tucked into corners in every building on campus. The library is a popular place to study, however space can sometimes be limited. The upstairs area of Syre Student Center is designated as a quiet study space and has comfortable furniture as well as views over campus.

Where do I get my student I.D. card and what do I do if I lose it?
Student I.D. cards, called Orca Cards, are issued at the Student Life office on the second floor of Syre Student Center. To obtain an Orca Card, students will need to provide their student I.D. number (available at the registration office), a class schedule and valid photo I.D. Photos are taken on the spot and the card only takes a minute to print. The first card is free and the college loads $15 of printing credit on it each quarter. Replacement cards cost $15 and must be paid for at the Business Office in Laidlaw.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *